Saturday, January 26, 2019

"Life Worship"

"I understand that God has saved my life through the work and sacrifice of Jesus and He mercifully saved me." This is the person who through intellect or knowledge of Scripture what salvation means. This is only in the head. When true faith and salvation impacts the heart and life is when it is lived out as Paul presents in this verse. "Paul now reveals [the body of the believer] to be the ultimate key to the practice of the victorious Christian life. It is of little avail to know theoretically the truths of Romans 6-8 (or other Scripture) if the body(the practical outworking) is not surrendered so that the life of Christ can be expressed in the everyday affairs of life." (John Phillips)

The life lived in Christ is marked as holy and pleasing to God that is worship of Christ. To be holy is to be set apart, consecrated, devoted to God. The implications are 2 fold:
1. Sinful actions and lifestyle are entirely opposed to the life that is holy and pleasing to God. We usually apply this well. In youth ministry we see this summed up for students by the "big dont's"- don't do drugs, don't have sex before marriage, don't be mean to people, etc. However, lifestyle is just the revealed attitude of one's life. How you live is determined by your heart. So, if you are a bitter person, your heart may be racked with anger. This example is to help see that action alone is not the sole issue of sin. Attitude of the heart, the root cause of behavior is just revealed in how we live.
2. Though things of this world may not be sinful to participate in, the question of does it please God and reveal His holiness through me is key. I believe Paul wants his readers to see that living a life of worship for Jesus is of far greater value than our desires. I may choose to not participate in certain things because it could affect my witness of my life as worship of Jesus, even though I may have the freedom to do those things. What is of greater value for you and me? My wants or desires that I am free to participate in or my life as worship of Christ? Can I be willing to sacrifice what I want for the sake of Christ?

Hobbies are good, but if they force me to neglect my spiritual duties (lead family or lead church) or callings, they interfere with my "life worship".
Media such as music, movies, or books are of value to a point. But if the content conforms me more to the world rather than Christ, my worship is hindered.
Work, education, sports, travel, possessions, and money all are perhaps necessary or elements of life that can be important, but if they replace Christ they are now the object of my worship and my life will reflect as such. 

So, the call of Paul is to live a life of worship that is pleasing to Him. It is not what we do on a Sunday morning alone that is worship. How we conduct our lives are actually greater elements of worship. Think about this: the 3rd commandment is to not take the Lord's name in vain. We associate that with not cussing to saying "God" or "Jesus" like curses. However, to claim Christ as Savior and Lord and to not live a life worthy of worship to Him is also to take the Lord's name in vain. It is in fact the name of Jesus we call out to to be saved. It is the name of Jesus we claim who changed us.

No comments:

Post a Comment